Everyone’s Favorite Word…

I have to admit it – I’m partial to a Coke. I know it’s bad for me. I know airlines use it to clean fuel spills off the tarmac (or was it forensic scientists using it to clean blood off the concrete at murder scenes, I can never remember) and yeah, you can watch what happens when you soak a … Read More

The Pursuit of UNhappiness?!

In 2006 a movie was released starring Will Smith, called ‘The Pursuit of Happyness’. It’s based on a true story about a man named Christopher Gardner; a down-on-his-luck salesman, who (while living rough on the streets with his son) struggles to make ends meet and at the same time takes on an unpaid internship as a stockbroker. 11 years later … Read More

Mindset or Muscle?

According to some statistics I saw recently, the average NFL broadcast (American Football) contains only 8.3% gameplay.  The other 91.7% is made up of players standing around in between plays, camera shots of the crowd and coaches, replays and commercials. To put that into perspective, if you’re watching a 3-hour game, the TOTAL amount of action you’ll see is a … Read More

What Are You Afraid Of?

Last weekend my son turned five; and so for three hours on Saturday morning our house became the backdrop for some sort of cross between ‘Armageddon’ and ‘Lord of the Flies’ as we facilitated (or attempted to) what my wife assured me would be “a small party” but what I can only describe as World War III perpetuated by terrorists … Read More

Just Do It

In 1988 at an advertising agency meeting, an ad executive called Dan Wieden came up with the slogan ‘Just Do It’ for his client, a shoe company called Nike. One of the campaign’s objectives was to target everyone, not just people interested in fitness; which led to Nike products becoming a fashion statement, not just sports gear – in fact, … Read More

Success Leaves Clues

I’ve always loved reading. When I was a kid I devoured the Famous Five, Secret Seven, Hardy Boys, Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes – anything with adventure, or even better: a mystery to solve. The best authors give you just enough clues to keep you guessing, but not so many that the ending is ruined. Just like the writers of those … Read More